Our second print issue is now out, and it’s a cracker. From Simon Bischoff’s stunning cover shot of Charlotte Garden climbing through the golden smoke haze on After Midnight (24) on Mt Wellington’s Organ Pipes, to Brecon Littleford’s Precious Object at the end of the mag, it’s packed to the gunnels with goodness.
What will you find inside?
- VL Editor, Simon Madden, reflects on being blinded (literally by eye surgery) and metaphorically by the Grampians/Garidwerd climbing bans.
- Ryan Siacci looks at the changing face of Australian alpinism is his article After the Gold Rush.
- Angus Taylor speaks to one of the unsung stars of ’90s bouldering, Angela Connolly, a Sydneysider who quietly put up what would have been at the time one the world’s hardest boulder problems by a woman, Tender Trap (V9/10).
- Photographer, Kamil Sustiak, reminisces on When Shit Goes Wrong in his regular column, How I Got the Shot.
- Kerrin Gale goes to the USA’s Smith Rocks in the dead of winter in The Try List and tried hard.
- Blueys’ climber Angus Farquhar recounts why he is pulling out some of his bolts on his first ascents in the Elephant in the Room.
- Tim Macartney-Snape, Meg Dennison and John Beckwith provide three different perspectives on the Grampians/Gariwerd climbing bans.
- Our gallery has shots from Flinders Island and also the first female ascent of the Groove Train by Paige Claassen.
- Nathan McNeil retells the epic first one-day ascent of The Lost Boys (24) on Mt Warning in Queensland by Duncan Steel and Henk Morgans.
- Ben Tari has a haunting story of climbing solo.
- Marcelo de Torrion por Alez dances and dodges and skips out on spotting.
- Steve Toal outlines some of the best areas covered in his new Central Grampians Comprehensive Guide.
- In Gym Rats, our regular indoor climbing column, we speak to Urban Climb’s route-setter and coach, Jane Engler.
- In Climb to Tokyo Campbell Harrison is all about learning from his mistakes in the opening bouldering World Cup in China.
- Denby Weller finds that you can always be stronger during the Pull-up Project.
- Our resident nutritionist, Amanda Watts, looks at the pros and cons of the supplement creatine and finds some benefits for climbers.
- Training guru Duncan Brown has some great tips for route-reading and memorisation.
- We do our usual bowing down to the False Gods of Consumption in the New Gear, plus we review the Petzl GriGri+ and The North Face Dome Pant.
- Dave Gairns remembers one of the pioneers of Victorian climbing, Mike Stone, who passed away recently.
- Brecon Littleford on his Precious Object, a DMM Mamba quickdraw.
Where can your grubby hands on a copy?
You can go for convenience-plus home, set-and-forget home delivery of each edition by buying a regular subscription to the magazine here. It’ll land in your mailbox once a quarter with all the words and pictures of Oz climbing plus you get the warm glow from keeping the magazine alive.If you want to pick up single copies of the magazine you can head to one of our preferred stockists (see the list below).
Unit 2. Building 2, 1 Dairy Road, Fyshwick
P: 02 6280 8830; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Summit Climbing Walls
2/26 Harris Rd, Malaga
P: (08) 9248 7035; E: email@example.com
17/152 Musgrave Rd, Red Hill
P: (07) 3368 3335; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shop 7, 40-42 O’Riordan St, Alexandria
P: (02) 9051 2425; E: email@example.com
491 Kent Street Sydney/72 Archer Street Chatswood
P: 02 9264 5888 (Sydney), 02 9419 6955 (Chatswood)
Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym St Peters
4C/1-7 Unwins Bridge Road, St Peters
P: 02 9519 3325; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Edge Rock Climbing Centre
9/10 Hudson Avenue, Castle Hill, NSW 2154
P: 02 9899 8228; E: email@example.com
374 Little Bourke Street
P: 03 9600 0599; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cliffhanger Climbing Gym
Cnr Grieve Pde & Dohertys Rd, Altona
P: (03) 9369 6400; E: email@example.com
64A Johnston St, Collingwood VIC 3066
P: 03 8592 0115; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northside Boulders (Brunswick & Northcote)
329 Victoria Street, Brunswick / 109-113 Helen St, Northcote
38a Neale Street, Bendigo
P: 0427 418 886
The Rock Adventure Centre
Rear 403 Pakington Street, Newtown, Geelong
P: 03 5221 3101; E: email@example.com