As we write this, the third regular print issue of Vertical Life is hitting mail boxes and preferred stockists’ shelves around Oz. As usual, it’s packed to the gunnels with killer content, from bow to stern, including:
– On the cover, Danny John Flanagan on Disco Non-Stop Party (25), Pierces Pass, Blue Mountains, as captured by Phillip Booth.
– VL Editor, Simon Madden, reflects on the nature of ethics vs style.
– ‘Big Dave’ Brailey & Jake Bresnehan froth about how good Castle Hill (NZ) bouldering is.
– As part of our Castle Hill double header, John Palmer then waxes (kind of) lyrical about its less fashionable sport climbing.
– Following Tommy Caldwell’s trip to Oz to promote the Dawn Wall speaking tour we speak to him about climbing, parenthood, and the future of the environment and what we can do to save it and climbing.
– In his regular column, How I Got the Shot, Kamil Sustiak writes about shooting BASE jumping off Frenchmans Cap in Tasmania.
– Dave Barnes outlines the history and attraction of the Mike Law Sydney–sea cliff classic, Ordeal by Fur (25).
– Ahead of the release of the new Tasmanian climbing history, Adventures at the Edge of the World, put together by Gerry Narkowicz and Simon Bischoff, we preview this brilliant new tome with a taster of the stories and photos featured in the book.
– Angus Taylor visits Indian Creek in the US of A and falls head-over-in-heels in love.
– Ashley Hendy, part-climber, part–mad scientist, outlines the science of brain stimulation and its possible benefits (or not) for climbers.
– In the light of new science, our resident food guru, Amanda Watts, returns to the subject of gelatin and its benefits for climbers.
– Denby Weller reflects on ambition in her regular column.
– Campbell Harrison on the travails of competition climbing in the Road to Tokyo.
– In our regular indoor interview, Gym Rats, we speak to WA routesetter, Jason Liew.
– Training guru, Duncan Brown, on the benefits of resting ‘dem weary bones.
– Buying Guide: in this new section, we outline the essential choices to be made when choosing a new rope.
– New Gear: as usual, we worship at the altar of the false gods of consumption.
– Gear Test: love it or shove it; we test Black Diamond’s new Focus shoes and the new Wild Country Mission harness.
– Obituary: Chris Dewhirst remembers Ian Ross.
– Precious Object: Inalee Jahn and her pocket rocks
HOW CAN YOU GET IT?
You can go for convenience-plus home, set-and-forget home delivery of each edition by buying a regular subscription to the magazine here. It’ll land in your mailbox once a quarter with all the words and pictures of Oz climbing plus you get the warm glow from keeping the magazine alive.If you want to pick up single copies of the magazine you can head to one of our preferred stockists (see the list below).
Unit 2. Building 2, 1 Dairy Road, Fyshwick
P: 02 6280 8830; E: email@example.com
Canberra Indoor Rock Climbing
38-40 Essington St, Mitchell ACT
P: 02 6260 1101; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Summit Climbing Walls
2/26 Harris Rd, Malaga
P: (08) 9248 7035; E: email@example.com
17/152 Musgrave Rd, Red Hill
P: (07) 3368 3335; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unit 4/12 Frederick St, St Leonards & 23 Waratah St, Kirrawee NSW
P: 02 9436 4600 (St Leonards), 02 9545 3407 (Kirawee); E: email@example.com
Shop 7, 40-42 O’Riordan St, Alexandria
P: (02) 9051 2425; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hangdog Climbing Gym
130 Auburn St, Wollongong NSW
P: 02 4225 8369; E: email@example.com
491 Kent Street Sydney; 72 Archer Street Chatswood
P: 02 9264 5888 (Sydney), 02 9419 6955 (Chatswood)
2a/305 Hillsborough Rd, Warners Bay; 122 Garden Grove Parade, Adamstown; 8 Grieve Cl, West Gosford NSW
Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym St Peters
4C/1-7 Unwins Bridge Road, St Peters
P: 02 9519 3325; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Edge Rock Climbing Centre
9/10 Hudson Avenue, Castle Hill, NSW 2154
P: 02 9899 8228; E: email@example.com
374 Little Bourke Street
P: 03 9600 0599; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cliffhanger Climbing Gym
Cnr Grieve Pde & Dohertys Rd, Altona
P: (03) 9369 6400; E: email@example.com
64A Johnston St, Collingwood VIC 3066
P: 03 8592 0115; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northside Boulders (Brunswick & Northcote)
329 Victoria Street, Brunswick / 109-113 Helen St, Northcote
38a Neale Street, Bendigo
P: 0427 418 886
The Rock Adventure Centre
Rear 403 Pakington Street, Newtown, Geelong
P: 03 5221 3101; E: email@example.com